The former project leader had developed several possible variants to pass through the approximately 3,500-meter-high Alps. Typically, these variants included a longer summit tunnel in Gasterntal and two longer tunnels. The subsequent tunnel was planned as a single track (with a 500-meter-long passing station for train crossings). The first measurement took place on July 14, 1906. However, since the first surveyor died during the project, the measurement was repeated by another surveyor on October 1. The construction began on October 15, 1906, just 14 days after the second measurement. Another 14 days later, work started in Goppenstein, and one day later in Kandersteg (north side). In August 1907, the tunnel's upgrade to double track was approved. On March 31, 1911, 5 years after the start of construction, the final breakthrough and the final blast of the last separating wall took place just before 4 am. The final inspection and operating permit of the tunnel were carried out on June 6, 1913, three days after the installation of the overhead line wires. The Lötschberg Line was opened to the public on July 15, 1913.
Surroundings of the Lötschberg Tunnel
In the immediate vicinity of the Lötschberg Tunnel, there are other mountains such as the First, Chlyne Lohner, Lohner, Innerer Fisistock, Doldenhorn, Altels, and many more. These mountains are surrounded by forests like the Gasterntal.